Posted in Portuguese

Let’s (Not) Go To Work

Busy Busy World 21st Century (by Tom the Dancing Bug here)

The portuguese outsourcing company got back in touch about a gig they wanted me for. I’d decided it wasn’t going to be possible currently. As I think I mentioned, the salary for the job is very low indeed. It wouldn’t even cover the mortgage and service charge on the flat we’re in. I actually wouldn’t mind working for a lower wage provided we could still make ends meet. but at the moment, unfortunately, we can’t. As a result, I’ve suggested they keep my details on file and maybe after my next project, with a bit of money in the bank, maybe my wife back in work, it might be possible to do a gig with them for a few months and make some contacts, learn some things.

Anonymised text of the email below (#uncorrectedportugueseklaxon)

Obrigado por terem respondido. Pensei muito nisso depois da nossa conversa. Embora fico mesmo muito entusiasmado da hipótese de trabalhar com o Acme Widgets, acho que seria difícil nesta altura mesma por causa da nossa situação familiar: estando ainda cá em Londres e sem um segundo salário para aumentar o meu, pode ser difícil sustentar o custo dum apartamento em Londres. Peço imenso desculpa por não ter apercebido mais cedo que isso seria um problema.

Já que têm os meus informações, importam-se se suspendêssemos este processo até mais tarde? Dado que a empresa funciona como uma agência, eu gostaria ficar com o seu email e, no futuro, entrar em contacto quando as coisas mudam. Adivinho que depois de mais um projeto aqui, a minha mulher vai ter um emprego também. Claro o futuro é incerto e ninguém sabe se o Brexit vai tornar tudo mais fácil ou (mais provável), difícil… suspiro… mas oxalá não seja impossível! Quem sabe, podemos até estar a viver la naquela altura!

Que acham? Vale a pena adiar a minha candidatura e entrarei em contacto numa certa altura em 2019?

Posted in English

Well That Was Painless

Well the job interview went OK I think. She suggested we just do half portuguese (I didn’t time it – but suspect substantially less than half actually…) and it’s just a preliminary interview so no job offer but she has passed my details along to colleagues with access to the companiy’s external clients in the cities where they operate so they can decide whether my skills are a match for their needs. And again I declare not-being-laughed-out-of-the-room as a kind of moral victory!

The salary though, fam! I expected it to be much lower than UK, and especially UK consultant day rates of course, I’m not an idiot, but the monthly rate is substantially lower than I earn in a week doing the same job as a freelancer in the UK. Ouch. So it’ll need some thinking through, depending on other things like whether my wife gets a job and so on, but it’s looking like it might be a hard transition to make, even temporarily… I’d love to do it for a while, I’d luuuurrrve to, but…